Skip to Content

Household Employer (Worker) Taxes and Reporting

Anyone who pays a nanny, housekeeper, home health aide or other household employee to work in their home is a household employer. 

Household employers can file their unemployment insurance contributions annually with IDES. The new "Return for Household Employers - Unemployment Contributions" (UI-HA; see below) will be mailed to current household annual filers. This form is not to be used for Illinois Department of Revenue Payments.

Effective for tax year 2011, Form UI-WIT was discontinued (the Combined Return for Household Employers; annual combined return for reporting Illinois withholding income tax and unemployment insurance contributions for household employees).

Household Worker Taxes Help and Resources

Steps to Pay

If you qualify as a household employer and want to pay your taxes once a year, follow these steps:
  1. Register as a household (domestic) employer (if you are not already registered) by filling out and filing the UI-1 DOM form with IDES before April 15th.
  2. Report any newly hired employees within 20 days of the date of hire.
  3. File the "Return for Household Employers - Unemployment Contributions" form (UI-HA) by April 15th.

Additional Publications


Useful Links