International Association of Bridge, Structural and Reinforcing
Iron Worker's Local 1
7740 Industrial Drive
Forest Park, IL 60130
Phone (708) 366-8181
Structural Iron Workers erect structural steel buildings and all types of bridges. They also perform pre-cast, reinforcing, and post-tensioning.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma, or GED certificate.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Must pass a physical exam.
- Must have access to reliable transportation.
- Must show a D D -214, if applicable.
NOTE: If you are between the ages of 18 and 26, you must show proof that you are registered for the draft.
How to Apply
- Complete the application form and return it to an AIC representative in an IDES office nearest you. The AIC maintains a mailing list and will notify you when applications are available. When you apply you will need to fill out their application. Call before going to pick up an application.
- Complete application. Applications taken on an as needed basis.
- Take and pass a general aptitude test.
- If the aptitude test is passed successfully, the applicant will be interviewed by the apprenticeship committee.
- Points will be given based on the interview and applicants will be placed on an eligibility list according to rank.
- Applicants will be selected according to rank.
- Must be able to work at high levels.
- Must be physically fit.
- Must be aggressive.
Recommended Preparatory Classes
- Mathematics, reading, and composition classes.
(Helpful but not necessary for acceptance.)
- Exposure to working outdoors and experience in welding, burning, blue print reading, or shop work is beneficial
- Structural Iron Workers work in all kinds of weather conditions.
Length of Apprenticeship
Three (3) years-Minimum of 600 hours of classroom instruction.
- Apprentices attend school two nights a week from September -June.
- Apprentices work full-time receiving on-the-job training.
- 1st 6 months 60% of journeyman's wage
- 2nd 6 months 70% of journeyman's wage
- 3rd 6 months 75% of journeyman's wage
- 4th 6 months 80% of journeyman's wage
- 5th 6 months 85% of journeyman's wage
- 6th 6 months 90% of journeyman's wage
- Journeyman Level 100% of journeyman's wage
- Average Journeyman's wage rate = $26.79/Hr (2000)
- (Specific wage information will be provided to accepted applicants)
- Welfare, Pension, Annuity