Sheet Metal Workers Local 265
Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee
106 N. Schmale Road
Carol Stream, IL 60188
Phone (630) 668-0110
Sheet Metal Workers fabricate and install heating, air-conditioning, and ventilation. They also work in industrial plants, install architectural sheet metal, and perform specialty fabrication.
- Must be at least 17 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED certificate.
- Must present a birth certificate.
- Must pass a drug test.
- Must pass a physical exam.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Must pass an aptitude test.
How to Apply
- Complete the application form and return it to an AIC representative in an IDES office nearest you. The AIC maintains a mailing list and will notify you when applications are available. When you apply you will need to fill out their application. Call before going to pick up an application.
- Applications available once a year, usually in the spring.
- Complete application and pay a $20 fee.
- Submit all necessary documents.
- Take and pass an aptitude test.
- Take and pass a physical exam.
- Take and pass a drug screening.
- Applicants, after completing the above, will be ranked by their results in three areas.
- These are: education; work experience; and math and language skills.
- The top 100 applicants will be placed on an eligibility list from which apprentices will be selected.
- This list will be maintained for two years.
- Must be physically able to do the work of the trade.
Recommended Preparatory Classes
- Mathematics, trigonometry, blue print reading, computer, drafting, and shop classes.
(Helpful but not necessary for acceptance.)
- Previous employment in construction or experience with computers, and drafting would be beneficial.
- Sheet Metal Workers work in all types of conditions, both indoors and out.
Length of Apprenticeship
Five (5) years-Minimum of 1,000 hours of classroom instruction.
- Apprentices attend school every ten weeks and then receive on-the-job training for nine weeks.
- Pre-Apprentice 30% of journeyman's wage
- Year 1 - 1st 6 months 40% of journeyman's wage
- 2nd 6 months 45% of journeyman's wage
- Year 2 - 1st 6 months 50% of journeyman's wage
- 2nd 6 months 55% of journeyman's wage
- Year 3- 1st 6 months 60% of journeyman's wage
- 2nd 6 months 65% of journeyman's wage
- Year 4- 1st 6 months 70% of journeyman's wage
- 2nd 6 months 75% of journeyman's wage
- Year 5 -1st 6 months 85% of journeyman's wage
- 2nd 6 months 90% of journeyman's wage
- Journeyman Level 100 % of journeyman's wage
- Average Journeyman's wage rate = $ 41.68/Hr (6/09)
- Health & Welfare, Annuity, Savings Plan, Pension