Sheet Metal Workers Local 73
2701 Van Buren
Bellwood, IL 60104
Phone (708) 544-5711
Sheet Metal Workers fabricate and install heating, air-conditioning, and ventilation. They also work in industrial plants, install architectural sheet metal, and perform specialty fabrication.
- Must be at least 17 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma, GED certificate. (Transcripts must be submitted)
- Must have a birth certificate.
- Must pass a drug test.
- Must pass a physical exam.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Must pass an aptitude test.
- Must show a copy of a D D -214, if applicable.
How to apply
- a copy of your high school diploma/GED certificate.
- a copy of your birth certificate.
- a copy of your driver's license.
- a copy of your D D -214, if applicable.
- Must pay a $20 application fee.
- Take an aptitude test.
- Applicants are ranked according to test scores and are selected from the top of this list.
- Once called, you must take and pass a physical exam and drug test.
- Must be able to work at high levels with ladders and scaffolds.
- Must be able to work in extreme weather conditions.
- Must be healthy with no major disabilities.
Recommended Preparatory Classes
- Mathematics, drafting, and shop classes.
(Helpful but not necessary for acceptance.)
- Previous employment using mechanical or mathematical ability would be beneficial.
- Sheet Metal Workers work in all types of conditions, both indoors and out.
Length of Apprenticeship
Four (4) years, 10 weeks- Five (5) years-Minimum of 1,400 hours of classroom instruction.
- Apprentices attend school for 10 weeks in the first year.
- 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year apprentices go to school for 22 days, two times a year.
- Apprentices spend the remainder of time receiving on-the-job training.
- Probationary Apprentice 30% of journeyman's wage
- Year 1 - 1st 6 months 40% of journeyman's wage
- 2nd 6 months 45% of journeyman's wage
- Year 2 - 1st 6 months 50% of journeyman's wage
- 2nd 6 months 55% of journeyman's wage
- Year 3 - 1st 6 months 60% of journeyman's wage
- 2nd 6 months 65% of journeyman's wage
- Year 4 - 1st 6 months 70% of journeyman's wage
- 2nd 6 months 75% of journeyman's wage
- Journeyman Level 100% of journeyman's wage
- Journeyman wage rate = $30.73
- Health & Welfare, Pension (Local & International), Annuity, Savings Plan