Plasterers Local 5 Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee
6631 W. Stanley Avenue
Berwyn, IL 60402
Phone (708) 749-3660
Washburne Trade School
3233 W. 31st St.
Plasterers finish interior walls and ceilings by using a one, two, or three coat system. They install insulated finish systems, apply stucco to exterior walls and ceilings, and soundproof and fireproof buildings.
- Must be at least 17 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma, or GED certificate.
- Must pass an oral interview.
- Must pass an aptitude test.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
How to Apply
- Complete the application form and return it to an AIC representative in an IDES office nearest you. The AIC maintains a mailing list and will notify you when applications are available. When you apply you will need to fill out their application.
- Applications available on an as needed basis.
- Take and pass aptitude test.
- Take and pass an oral interview.
- Combination of the above are used to determine a candidate's eligibility.
- Applicants are then chosen from eligibility list.
- Must be able to lift heavy objects.
- Must be able to work at high levels from scaffolds and ladders.
- Must be able to handle a large amount of bending and stretching.
Recommended Preparatory Classes
- Mathematics, mechanical drawing, science, and shop classes.
(Helpful but not necessary for acceptance.)
- Familiarity with construction work of any kind.
- Plasterers work indoors and out. Work may be somewhat seasonal.
Length of Apprenticeship
Four (4) years
- Apprentices begin by attending pre-apprenticeship training. Classes are held eight hours a day, Monday - Friday.
- Apprentices attend classroom instruction one day per week for the remainder of the program while receiving on-the-job training.
- 1st 6 months 50% of journeyman's wage
- 6 months - 1 year 55% of journeyman's wage
- 1 year - 1 1/2 years 60% of journeyman's wage
- 11/2 years - 2 years 65% of journeyman's wage
- 2 years - 2 1/2 years 70% of journeyman's wage
- 21/2 years - 3 years 75% of journeyman's wage
- 3 years - 31/2 years 80% of journeyman's wage
- 31/2 years - 4 years 85% of journeyman's wage
- Journeyman Level 100% of journeyman's wage
- Average Journeyman's wage rate = $28.44/Hr (06/01)
- Health & Welfare, Pension