Iron Workers Local 465
220 W. Court Street
Kankakee, IL 60901
Phone (815) 932-0732
Architectural Iron Workers perform field fabrication & Installation of: window walls, glass & metal rails, curtain walls, storefronts, glass & metal doors, door hardware, stairs, scaffolds, chain link fences, fire escapes, flag poles, guard rails, canopies & playground equipment, skylights & vault doors and adjacent supports.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Must have a valid driver's license and transportation.
- Must pass an aptitude test.
- Must pass a drug test.
- Must be able to speak and understand the English language.
How to Apply
Complete the application form and return to an AIC representative in an IDES office nearest you. The AIC maintains a mailing list and will notify you when applications are available. When you apply you will need to fill out their application. Call before going to pick up an application.
- Applications are accepted for a two week period every two years.
- Complete application and pay a $25.00 non-refundable fee.
- Take and pass a general aptitude test.
- Take and pass an oral interview.
- Name of applicants who pass the aptitude test and follow all the above steps are placed on an eligibility list according to scores.
- Applicants are chosen in order from this list.
- Must be able to lift heavy objects
- Work at elevated heights
- Pay attention to detail
- Must have a good work ethic and positive attitude.
- Hard working and motivated.
Recommended Preparatory Classes
- Any Shop Classes
- Mathematics classes
(Helpful but not necessary for acceptance)
Familiarity with any type of construction.
Architectural Iron Workers work in all types of weather conditions and at various heights.
Length of Apprenticeship
- Three (3) years - Minimum of 6,000 hours of on-the-job training.
- Apprentices attend school Twenty-Six (26) hours a month from September - June.
- Apprentices work five days a week receiving on-the-job training.
- 1st year 50% of journeyman's wage
- 2nd year 60% of journeyman's wage
- 3rd year 70% of journeyman's wage
- Journey Level 100% of journeyman's wage
- Average Journeyman's wage rate = $41.80/Hr. (12/12)