DuPage County Cement Masons Local 803
Joint Apprenticeship Committee
240 W. St. Charles Road
Villa Park, IL 60181
Phone (630) 941-9458
Cement Masons place and finish any concrete surface, apply coatings to concrete, and patch and repair concrete. The work includes framing sidewalks, driveways, stairways, etc. In addition, they perform all work that involves concrete floors and walls.
- Must be at least 17 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma, GED certificate, or have completed at least two years of high school.
- Must pass a physical exam.
- Must pass a drug screening.
- Must be sponsored by a signatory contractor. A list of contractors that work with this union's training program is available from the union. You must ask for the list.
How to Apply
- Complete the application form and return to an AIC representative in an IDES office nearest you. When you apply you will need to fill out their application. Call before going to pick up an application.
- (Applicants not employed by a contractor can still apply. However, due to the amount of onthe-job-training, it is recommended that applicants seek a job with a contractor before applying.)
- Must be sponsored by a signatory contractor. A list of contractors is available.
- Take and pass a physical exam.
- Apply for membership into the Cement Masons Union.
- Must have endurance.
- Must have patience since concrete work requires precision.
Recommended Preparatory Classes
- Mathematics and any kind of shop class.
(Helpful but not necessary for acceptance)
- Familiarity with construction is helpful.
- Cement Masons work in all types of weather conditions.
Length of Apprenticeship
Three (3) years
- Apprentices attend school one day a week from September - April.
- Apprentices must attend a ten hour O.S.H.A. Safety Course and an American Red Cross First Aid/CPR Training class.
- 1st year 85% of journeyman's wage
- 2nd year 90% of journeyman's wage
- 3rd year 95% of journeyman's wage
- Journeyman Level 100% of journeyman's wage
- Average Journeyman's wage rate = $26.60/Hr. (06/01)
- Health & Welfare, Pension, Vision and Dental Insurance, Annuity