Fox Valley Cement Masons Union Local 11, Area 638 Apprenticeship
28874 W. Route 120 Unit B
McHenry, IL 60050
Phone (815) 363-6933
(Training facility located in Elgin, IL)
Cement Masons place and finish any concrete surface, apply coatings to concrete, and patch and repair concrete. The work includes framing sidewalks, driveways, stairways, etc. In addition, they perform all work that involves concrete floors and walls.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Applicants are encouraged to complete 12 years of education or have the equivalent.
- (GED certificate, trade school, job experience)
- Must be physically able to perform the work of the trade.
- Must show a birth certificate.
How to Apply
- Complete the application form and return to an AIC representative in an IDES office nearest you. When you apply you will need to fill out their application. Call before going to pick up an application.
- Applications are available Monday - Friday at the Cement Masons Local 11 Area 638, 28874 W. Route 120, Unit B, McHenry, IL or at the Fox Valley General Contractors Association at 28 N. First Street, Suite 311, Geneva, IL.
- Applicants are interviewed by the committee.
- Applicants are rated by the committee.
- Top-rated applicants will be accepted into the program first.
- Local committee may consider applicants from pre-apprenticeship programs, ie: Job Corps graduates. (BAT Circular 74-5)
- Must be able to bend for long periods of time.
- Must be able to work at high levels from ladders and scaffolds.
Recommended Preparatory Classes
- Mathematics, drafting, blueprint reading, and any kind of shop class.
(Helpful but not necessary for acceptance)
- Previous work as a laborer or with a concrete contractor is helpful.
- Cement Masons work in all types of weather conditions.
Length of Apprenticeship
- Three (3) years - Minimum of 4,000 hours of on-the-job training.
- Apprentices attend school one night a week from September - May. (An occasional Saturday class may be held)
- Apprentices receive on-the-job training five days a week.
- 1st year 70% of journeyman's wage
- 2nd year 80% of journeyman's wage
- 3rd year 90% of journeyman's wage
- Journeyman Level 100% of journeyman's wage
- Average Journeyman's wage rate = $28.00/Hr. (06/01)
- Health & Welfare, Pension, Annuity