Bricklayers Local 27 of Illinois Apprenticeship & Training Program
450 S. Shepard Drive Unit 17A
Elgin, IL 60123
Phone (847) 695-8130
A Bricklayer lays brick, stone, structural tile, marble, concrete block, and any other masonry materials to build or repair walls, partitions, fireplaces, sewers, and other structures. Bricklayers also install firebrick linings in industrial furnaces.
- Must reside in: Kane, Kendall, DeKalb, or McHenry Counties.
- Must be at least 17 years old.
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED certificate.
- Must pass an aptitude test and an oral interview (both are conducted in English).
- Must be physically fit to perform the work of the trade.
- Must provide two personal references.
- Must show a birth certificate.
How to Apply
- Complete the application form and return to an AIC representative in an IDES office nearest you. When you apply you will need to fill out their application. Call before going to pick up an application.
- Applications are available all year, call before picking one up.
- $20.00 non-refundable application fee. (Cash or money order only)
- Submit all required materials.
- Take an oral interview.
- Submit two references from individuals not related to you.
- Based upon the results of the oral interview, each candidate is ranked.
- The top ranked applicants will be chosen to enter the program.
NOTE: Applications are also accepted at:
District Council Training Center
400 Gunderson Drive
Carol Stream, IL 60188
Phone: (630) 752-0401
- Must not be afraid of heights.
- Must have good work habits.
Recommended Preparatory Classes
- Drafting, shop, and any classes related to construction.
- Work Experience: (Helpful but not necessary for acceptance)
- Experience working with your hands or with general construction is useful.
- Bricklayers spend the majority of time working outdoors in all types of weather.
Length of Apprenticeship
- Three (3) years
- Apprentices attend school every Saturday from September - May for all three years of the program.
- 1st 6 months 50% of journeyman's wage
- 6 months - 1 year 60% of journeyman's wage
- 1 year - 1 1/2 years 70% of journeyman's wage
- 1 1/2 years - 2 years 80% of journeyman's wage
- 2 years - 2 1/2 years 90% of journeyman's wage
- 2 1/2 years - 3 years 95% of journeyman's wage
- Completion of 3 years 100% of journeyman's wage
- Average Journeyman's wage rate = 29.30/Hr. (06/01)
- Health Insurance, Pension, Annuity