Top 10 Things You Should Know About Unemployment Insurance
- Use Illinois Joblink To Search For A Job.
Illinois Joblink is IDES's online database that helps connect job seekers to employers in Illinois and throughout the country.
- Accurately Report the Reason You Are Unemployed.
Accurately report you reason for separation from your job when you initially file your claim for benefits.
- Report Any Wages You Are Earning.
You must report you gross wages for each week you work. Report all earnings, including part-time or temporary work.
- Be Available for Work.
In order to collect benefits, you must continually certify that you are able, available and willing to accept suitable work.
- Actively Search for Work.
You must search for work each week or benefits may be denied.
- Develop & Document an Effective Work Search Plan.
An organized and documented job search improves you chances of employment. All claimants are required by law to document work search activities.
- Do Not Pay An Agent To File Your Claim.
The use of paid third parties to file you claim and/or communicate with IDES is very risky and discouraged. Do not share your personal information with anyone.
- Do Not Commit Fraud.
Follow the rules to preventing yourself from committing fraud. Failure to follow legal requirements has serious consequences.
- Know Your Responsibilities and Ask for Help.
If you have questions, please visit an IDES office or call (800) 244-5631
- Don't Delay - As soon As You Begin Working Again, Report Your Return to Work.
As soon as you begin working, notify IDES. Avoid committing fraud, do not wait until you receive your first paycheck.