Electronic Filing for Monthly Wage Report, Quarterly Contribution and Wage Report, and Payments via TaxNet
Effective July 2014 Monthly Wage Report
Employers with 25 or more employees are required to submit electronic monthly wage reports. Employers will continue to submit quarterly contribution and wage reports, and submit eight additional monthly wage reports (news release).
Phase in Period Effective Dates (based on # of Employees)
- 250 or more - January 2013
- 100 - 249 - July 2013
- 50 - 99 - January 2014
- 25 - 49 - July 2014
Effective 3rd Quarter 2013 Quarterly Contribution and Wage Report (UI-3/40)
The Rules of the Illinois Department of Employment Security (56 Ill. Code 2760.140) have been changed to require employers with 25 or more employees during the prior calendar year to file their Quarterly Contribution and Wage Report (UI-3/40) electronically.
Magnetic media, such as, diskette, CD or cartridge will no longer be approved filing methods for Quarterly Reports after the second quarter of 2013.
The ONLY approved filing methods for Quarterly UI 3/40 Reports are:
- TaxNet Manual Entry
- TaxNet File upload
- TaxNet File import
- Fed/State Employment Taxes Program (FSET) - a program for large employers and payroll companies to electronically file and pay both their federal and Illinois employment taxes.
- Zero Wage Telefiling at 1-800-793-6860
*Please note that failure to file your employer’s (monthly & quarterly) contribution and wage report (UI-3/40) electronically, will result in the assessment of a penalty.
Report Filing Extension Requests
NOTE - If you are unable to file your quarterly and/or monthly reports in time, and would like to request an extension you may email your request to the following address: DES.TaxNetExtensions@Illinois.gov
- QUARTERLY EXTENSIONS: If your extension request is granted, you will have an additional 30 days to file your quarterly report.
- MONTHLY EXTENSIONS: If your request is granted, you will have an additional 15 days to file your MONTHLY report.
Requests for quarterly and/or monthly filing extensions must be received on or before the filing due date.
What are some employer UI tax responsibilites?
Steps to Enroll
IDES offers employers different options to pay UI taxes electronically:
- Illinois TaxNet: You can file your report and pay via ACH Debit by using this secure online application.
- New TaxNet users: see registration instructions prior to signing up
- The taxNet website is best viewed with Internet Explorer
- Electronic Funds Transfer via Automated Clearing House: this service assures your payment will take only 24 hours to process and the funds will clear your bank account the next day. Please call the TaxNet Hotline to set up your Electronic Funds Transfer
- Pay bill with your Visa or Master card: IDES accepts Master card, Visa, Discover and American Express credit and debit card payment via the Paybill website.
Copyright © 2013 Illinois Department of Employment Security