Monthly Wage Reporting
Monthly Wage Reporting
Employers with 25 or more employees required to file quarterly and monthly wage reports (starts July 25)
Pursuant to Public Act 97-0689, employers with a cumulative total of 25 or more employees in the prior calendar year are required to submit monthly wage reports electronically. Employers will continue to submit quarterly contribution and wage reports, and submit eight additional monthly wage reports.
If your company has reported a total of 25 or more employees for the calendar year of 2014, you will be required to file monthly and quarterly electronic wage reports for the period beginning July 2015 and continuing through June 2016. Note that if you had a total of 25 or more employees in 2012 and 2013, you are currently subject to this requirement through June 2015.
Please see below guide:
- Monthly Electronic Reports
- Required for the first and second months of each quarter: July, August, October, November, January, February, April and May
- Should contain only employee names, social security numbers and each employee’s total wages for the period being reported
- Unemployment insurance contributions are not calculated or remitted
- Failure to submit in an electronic format through Illinois TaxNet will result in a penalty.
- Quarterly Electronic Reports
- Required for the full quarter, which also covers the filing requirement for the months of September, December, March & June
- Unemployment insurance contributions are calculated and remitted
- Failure to submit in required electronic formats – Illinois TaxNet, FSET (through QuickBooks or other vendor software) or FTP (used by large service bureaus or employers) – will result in a penalty
For a brief explanation on TaxNet, please click on the video links below:
Phase in Period
Effective Dates (based on # of Employees)
250 or more - January 2013
100 - 249 - July 2013
50 - 99 - January 2014
25 - 49 - July 2014
Monthly wage filing must be done via TaxNet, the Department's online tax filing / wage reporting application. Employers that are already registered on TaxNet can file using their existing TaxNet account.
Recommended Browser: The TaxNet web application is best viewed with Internet Explorer (visit the Internet Explorer download site). TaxNet will only accept a comma separated (.csv) plain ASCII text format file for the monthly wage report. A file can contain a single employer or multiple employers.
Please note: There will NOT be a manual entry option for the monthly wage reports.
File Format Guide
Call the IDES TaxNet Hotline, toll free at (800) 247-4984 for TaxNet related questions, or contact IDES in writing
Copyright © Illinois Department of Employment Security