Physical Therapist Assistant
||Physical Therapist Assistant
||IDFPR - Division of Professional Regulation
||An individual licensed to assist and work under the supervision of a physical therapist in implementing patients' physical therapy treatment programs as established by the licensed physical therapist. Patient care activities provided by the physical therapy assistant do not include interpretation of referrals, evaluation procedures, planning of or major modifications of patient programs.
||The Illinois Physical Therapy Act (225 ILCS 1996 90/1 - 90/36, Inclusive); 68 Ill Adm. Code 1340
|Type of Regulation
||Graduate of a two (2) year college level physical therapist assistant program approved by the Illinois Department of Professional Regulation (DPR).
||Physical Therapist Assistant Exam. Exam given by the Continental Testing Services, Inc.; 547 South LaGrange Road; LaGrange, IL 60525; (708) 354-9911.
||Anytime based on applicant's request
||Yes, unlimited. However, failing the exam three times requires proof of remedial work before being allowed to sit for another exam.
||Licensure requirements, licensure fees, examination fees and exam administration are subject to change.
||$100.00 by examination; $100.00 by endorsement
||$60.00 every two years
||$20.00 plus all lapsed renewal fees
||Two years (All licenses expire September 30 of even numbered years.)
- Currently licensed as a physical therapist assistant in another state;
- At least 18 years of age;
- Of good moral character;
- Successfully complete an approved physical therapist assistant program;
- Submit certification of licensure from the state of original licensure and the state of most recent active practice;
- Exam scores must be reported directly to the Illinois Department of Professional Regulation by the testing entity;
- Have met substantially equivalent requirements at the time of applicant's original licensure as were in effect in Illinois on that date;
- Must submit work history indicating all employment since graduation from physical therapist assistant program to the time application is made.